Domain Name Tips and Tricks
Choosing the right Domain Name for your business can be a little trickier than it appears; even though the process of acquiring a domain is simple, there are certain factors you should consider before making the purchase.
If you have an existing brick and mortar business you should register your business name, then register a shorter, more memorable, version for online customers.
On the flip side, if you’re starting from scratch, then research your market and try to find a suitable name that already receives a fair amount of traffic.
O.k. — before making your selection — here are a few tricks and tips for making your domain SEO-Friendly and competitor proof.
- Avoid building your primary business with free domains. Many hosting companies provide free domains with each hosting account to entice the buyer. However, your web host could hold you hostage if you decide to move your website. For best results — purchase your domain with a separate company.
- Use no more than 2 to 3 hyphens in your domain to refrain from looking suspicious to the search engine spiders.
- Always register your domain with and without hyphens. Also, register the .com, .net, .org, and .info to prevent “typo squatters” from capitalizing on your efforts.
- If possible register your domain with plurals and misspellings. This may cost a few unaccounted dollars, but could be very profitable in the long run.
- Try to keep your name short and memorable; even if you have to register a short version of your business and redirect it to the main site.
- A great way to improve search engine ranking is to include keywords in your domain name. Some marketers say this doesn’t matter, but It Does!
This may seem a little over the top and you may feel these steps aren’t necessary, however the strategies listed will prevent “typo squatters” from ruining your business name and legally stealing your profits.
So… be sure to put the proper time and research in choosing the right domain name for your business.